So I just got my hair did at Karma Salon, voted best of 417 by 417 magazine, and I absolutely love picking her brain about hair… mainly because I know little-to-nothing about hair management, hair product, and maintenance.
First and foremost, I would just like to say that I adore Karma Salon – everyone in there is very friendly, knowledgeable and professional (and they all look like super models). By the time I make it to a salon my hair looks like it’s been through hell and back. Split ends, faded color and don’t get me started on the frizz. Needless to say, I gave Elizabeth a run for her money today, and all I can say is I am impressed. Just LOOK at how pretty I am now.
Don’t act like you aren’t impressed. Moving on, I have become increasingly conscious of the weather turning colder as you can probably see from the above picture – I am wearing a cute little cardigan I picked up from a little boutique shop here in town. But that is beside the point! The point is it is getting cold outside! I have found myself digging out my winter jackets from last year and have even started my winter shoe and boot shopping.
That being said, Elizabeth was kind enough earlier this year to share with me some hair styling tips for the summer, and even though it is a little early, I figure I would rather be educated than continue this ridiculous regime I have where I wait for my tresses to become an utter catastrophy. So without further ado, here are some more fabulous tips from the even-more-fabulous Elizabeth Cloud from Karma Salon.
Hair Styling Tips for the Winter
When it comes to a cold, dry winter, static is my main enemy. Picture it: you find your favorite turtleneck sweater, and the minute you pull it on, it looks as if you stuck your finger in a light socket….very unsexy, and yet, it’s a daily struggle for me during the cold winter months.
Elizabeth’s Solutions for Static-hair
- Dryer sheets…. I know – I had no idea and I had a mini-heart attack when Elizabeth told me this. But it works! Take a dryer sheet and rub it on your hair – you will be good to go while simultaneously smelling like you just hopped out of a pile of clean laundry (double bonus)!
- Moroccan Oil Frizz Spray. This is a product you can find at Karma Salon – just find Elizabeth or Stephanie and they will point you in the right direction.
Elizabeth’s Solutions for Dry Hair
- A top-quality hair oil. One of the things Elizabeth confessed was, in the summer, she typically uses a lot of leave-in shampoo, conditioner and the like to protect her lovely locks from the sun and chlorine. But in the winter, desperate dryness calls for drastic measures. She usually uses heavy conditioner while showering to help weigh her hair down and give it that extra moisture it needs.
- Drink more water! It seems simple and easy, but in the cold winter months, we often forget to drink enough water to hydrate ourselves. In the summer it is easy because we become hot sweaty messes, but in the winter we usually don’t find ourselves too horribly hot and bothered.
Elizabeth’s Product Pick
One of the things Elizabeth has preached religiously is to use good products in your hair. Sure, you can go to the store and get that cheap “best choice” version, but it can ruin your hair color and your tresses as well. There must be some truth to this because I am baffled as to how her hair is always so freakin’ perfect. I’m not bitter or anything…. MOVING ON!
Elizabeth’s product pick, at least for my thin, fine hair, was a little something called blow-out balm. She loves this because it does three things at once:
- Protects your hair from heat – this is important to me because in the winter I find myself blow-drying my hair a lot more often. It’s too cold to sit around with a wet head!
- Makes your hair all shiny.
- It gets rid of that frizz!
I love karma salon and I love talking with hair experts (hairperts?) like Liz. She takes the extra time and consideration to ensure her clients get the look they want. I highly recommend checking her out and getting your fall hairstyle on at Karma. For me, I traded in my blond locks for some subtle lowlights. After all, I’ve lost my summer tan and have fully embraced my fair skin – those sophisticated browns gave color to my face. Thanks Elizabeth!
You can contact Elizabeth at Karma Salon, at 3046 S Kimbrough Ave #132, Springfield, MO 65807, by scheduling an appointment at (417) 887-0005.
Wishing you shiny static-free waves this winter!