Jealousy, otherwise known as “The Green Monster” is something that can be managed in small doses, but when it consumes one or both parties in a relationship, we are often met with disaster. As someone who was incredibly jealous as a youngster, I can safely say that it has ruined a relationship or two of mine. Luckily, as I grew a little older and emotionally stable, it stopped hounding me and ceased to sneak into my life almost altogether. But what are some of the signs of jealousy? How do you know if you are displaying jealous behavior?
Tell-Tale Signs That You Are A Jealous Person
- Needing your SO (significant other) to tell you where he or she is every day;
- Secretly going through your SO’s purse, pockets or phone with the intent to “keep tabs” on them;
- Feeling fearful that they will leave you for someone else, and acting out this fear in a controlling fashion;
- If your SO compliments someone else, and you feel the need to cut that person down or you secretly feel the sting in your heart (because you took it as an invalidation to yourself);
- If you interrogate your partner frequently on his or her whereabouts, feelings or thoughts;
- If there are negative undertones in your communication when something good happens to your SO (such as your SO gets a raise, and you say something like, “Congrats on the raise, but it’s not like you had any competition);
- If you feel jealous of your partner, and you turn around and try to make them jealous by flirting with someone else or by some other means;
- Feeling fearful that your SO will leave you, so you stick next to them like white on rice (borderline clingy);
- Pettiness is another sign of jealousy whereby you cut your partner down or try to make them feel “small” or “guilty” for what they have done.
The good news is that if you are someone who experiences jealousy regularly, there are always ways to master your emotions so that they don’t run you and your life. But before we get there, take a few minutes and see where you stand emotionally in your relationship!
While this quiz is meant to be fun, it is important to keep in mind that it is, in fact, not based on any facts whatsoever. So if you get a score that you aren’t particularly proud of, don’t stress. It is supposed to be fun!
All the best!
We are WeDames, an online women’s magazine and women’s network in Springfield, Mo. We love connecting, having fun and empowering women in and around our awesome little city. We do this by putting up lifestyle articles, and featuring local business spotlights here on our magazine, and by also hosting women’s events, our favorite being a sort of “girls’ night out”. Ladies’ night out is an excuse for us ladies to get dolled up, look your best and hang out with other amazing women in Springfield, Mo.
Our humble website covers topics ranging from parenting, fashion, local businesses, tips, health, well-being, dating, marriage and where to shop in Springfield, Mo. Joining our community is free, but you must identify as a woman, and be 21 years and above. Click here to join our newsletter and get the latest scoop on what we are doing in Springfield, Mo!