4th of July is one of my favorite holidays – there is food, fun, family, friends and a myriad of other f-words which describes this holiday (words like fireworks, fascinating, favorable, foment and fire up..in case you were wondering).
And where many families and friends come together over BBQ and beer, some like to put a little something extra in their Independence Day Celebrations, whether it be decorations, themed cuisine, or, in my case, festive adult beverages!
Here’s the thing – we always do something for the kiddies to have fun. Typically, July in Springfield, MO. is hot, so we tend to center the children’s activities around water. Slip n’ slides, sprinklers, water balloons and swimming are usually the things which keeps the tots away from the grill while dad flips the burgers and enjoys a brew. The fun doesn’t have to stop at the kids though- adults like to have their fair share of enjoyment as well!
In fact, I feel it’s time for the adults to get in the 4th of July spirit…literally and figuratively.
Three 4th of July Cocktails and Adult Beverages
4th of July Shots
This particular beverage is a layered shot. It is easy and quick to make, is sweeter than other shots, and definitely shows off your patriotism via the Red, White and Blue layers!
Layer equal amounts of the following in shot glasses, in this order:
- 1 part grenadine
- 1 part Blue Curacao
- 1 part Cream or Vodka
Pretty simple right? It is! Get your shots on Springfield, MO.!
Red, White & Blue Jello Shots Recipe! – Adult Beverages
Who doesn’t like a good jello shot to keep you cool during those hot summer months? To be honest, I have never really had a jello shot so I have no idea what I am talking about – but those 21 and over seem to enjoy them as much as the next person.
Keep in mind, this one takes more time and patience to make. It is recommended to make them the night before.
- 3oz package of blue Jello
- 3oz package of red Jello
- 2 packets of Knox gelatin
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups (divided) of alcohol of choice (flavored or plain vodka works well)
- jello shot cups
- First set up your shot cups. I like to spread mine out on baking sheets for easy transport to and from the fridge. 2 oz shot cups can be found in almost any grocery store.
- Step 1: Make the Red layer
- In a bowl add 1 cup of boiling water to the red jello, stir well until dissolved, let cool a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of alcohol (I used whipped cream flavored vodka), stir.
- Pour into shot cups, spreading evenly across the cups so there is a layer of red in each.
- Transfer to fridge and let them set. Package directions say to let set 4 hours, but you can also allow them to set overnight so they will be extra firm before you add the next layer. Keep in mind, if you skip this step, your colors will mix when you add the next layersand you will no longer have a layer effect! If you are rushed, let them set at least 30 minutes.
- A lot of red, white and blue jello shots use whipped cream as the white layer. That is yummy, but here is how to make a white layer that is also gelatin and contains alcohol for a stronger jello shot.
- Step 2: The White Layer
- Add 1 cup of water and 1 cup coconut milk to a saucepan and sprinkle the Knox over it.
- Turn on the heat to low and stir well, cooking on low until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool several minutes and then add 1 cup of alcohol (I used whipped cream vodka)
- Carefully add the white layer to your red layer in each cup. Mine was too hot and started mixing in some of them so I used a spoon to add it! But, if it’s cooled enough you can pour it (slowly!).
- Transfer to fridge and allow to completely cool and set…either overnight or for at least 30 minutes.
*Note: be sure to use clear alcohol or white liquor for this step so it stays white!*
- Step 3: The Blue Layer
- In a bowl add 1 cup of boiling water to the blue jello, stir well until dissolved, let cool a few minutes.
- Add 1 cup of alcohol (I used regular vodka), stir. Allow to cool several minutes.
- Carefully add the blue over the white layer, slowly so it doesn’t mix!
- Transfer to fridge and allow to set before eating!
I told ya, this one takes a little more TLC and time, but it is worth it in the end!
Red, White, and Sparkling Blueberry Punch
If you like Moscato, you are going to love this drink. Keep in mind, the recipe below yields about 12 servings. Take into consideration the size of your party (and who will be drinking this tasty adult libation).
- 2 bottles Moscato
- 4 bottles Sparkling Blueberryjuice
- 3 cups Smirnoff Sorbet Light Pineapple Coconut Vodka
- Endless blueberries and strawberries
- Pour Moscato and the Sparkling Blueberry and vodka into a punch bowl. Add strawberries, blueberries and serve.
*Note: You can freeze water and berries in a bunt pan or donut molds for ice rings to keep your punch cold.*
And there you have it folks- three 4th of July Adult Beverages sure to keep your guests toasty and in the Independence Day mood!
Please drink responsibly and ensure you have a designated driver, uber, substitute driver or cab to take you home if necessary.
Happy 4th of July folks!